About Me

My photo
PhD Candidate at Purdue University, Computer Science.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Listening Carefully

The listening, we have been always taught about the importance and the value of listening. How many among us really understood this value.
I think that majority of us see the following scenario: When there is a call for a meeting, teammates gather and start to talk. Everyone will try to express his vision and his thoughts. ya?
Well, I recommend the contributions, everyone should say anything he wants loud. Put hands on problems during meeting also has a good effect for the trust among the team members.
But what about listening? If you try to listen carefully to the people during your meetings, then congratulations you are successfully reading their minds.
But why can this be important? why should I care about reading minds?

Reading minds will make you the perfect partner. Imagine that you get the point and the vision of your team, won't this make you able to define the priorities of each task? won't you be able to make the quality that fits the expectations of your mates?
When I was just switching my company, I came to the new team with a different culture, stuck to, addicted it actually. I was resisting the other opinions thinking that anybody should listen to my point of view.
After some while I realized that this can't work anymore. Although I am still convinced that I have good point of view. What I changed is that I started to break the ice. I process my managers mind then react on that business. In that way, I always achieve what my managers are just going to ask, I am leading the task.
Managers who can keep the project in the optimum direction while being self-managed are valued.
We need that as the World Crisis lay-off coders. We need to make sure that we are valued.....

No comments: